62-052 Art and Culture
second cycle Master degree study programme Political Science
Course Supervisor: Prof. Ernest Ženko
The course focuses on the specific role that art and culture have in the context of the social. In questions pertaining to art it centers to the historical development of a concept of art from Antiquity to Enlightenment to contemporaneity. The following topics are presented:
- The role of art as a specific field in the context of society.
- The origin and development of aesthetics as philosophy of art; key thinkers.
- Basic concepts in aesthetics: beauty, form, creativity, sublime, etc.
- Autonomy of art.
- Historical avant-gardes and modernism.
- Postmodernism and the end of art.
- Art and politics; utopia.
From the point of view of culture, more light will be shed on specific methodological approaches related to the analysis of cultural issues (phenomenology, deconstruction, psychoanalysis), and the following topics will be pointed out:
- Linguistic and visual turn.
- Culture studies.
- Anthropological approaches in studies of culture.
- Culture in the context of modernity and postmodernity.
- Interculturality and globalization.